Tim Burton’s “Nightmare before Christmas” in 3D and other creepy images

October 31, 2006

thline.jpg

Ten of us gathered stood in a line last night to go to Hollywood’s famous EL CAPITAN to see the new 3D version of “Nightmare before Christmas.” We all got free and very cool 3D glasses that we got to keep. The previews were better (actually GORGEOUS) examples of 3D work today. “Nightmare” was, of course, adapted from 2D to 3D as one of our gang pointed out, so it doesn’t quite jump out at you.

I love the score. For that matter, the film should be called Danny Elfman and Tim Burton’s “Nightmare…” Elfman’s score is just perfect. It doesn’t sound like the typical Disney song. Elfman’s harmonic sound is unique. Sure, he LOVES to rove through minor chords in everything he does, but Danny is a great composer. Classical composers like to take pot shots at him for not being able to notate his music. Who cares? If he can afford to hire someone to do what he can’t, it’s his business. All that matters is the end product––and in this movie, it is terrific.

The El Capitan was packed, and for some odd reason, I reason I was surrounded by young people with soft faces, and lots of black clothing and black hair. Damon pointed out to me that there was a very vital young Latino Goth constituency in Los Angeles and this is evidently one of their movies, because they were out in force. The hairstyles were amazing. These are the youth of America I thought to myself. Sweet kids who look like Alice Cooper or Ozzy Osbourne grandchildren.

Speaking of the youth of America, my marvelously international Music We Love freshman seminar at UCLA is going quite well this year. Yesterday, a student presented her lecture on the Goo Goo Dolls. She told how one of their songs, “Iris” whose lyrics state “you bleed just to know you’re alive” and this has now become a national anthem for “cutters,” or people who cut themselves “for a variety of reasons.” My freshmen students all looked as surprised as I was. Cutters, wow! There is music for dancing, for worshiping, for its own sake, for going to war, for courting, and so on, an now, music for cutters. That’s why I love being taught by freshmen, confessing their favorite music.

[Photo: by Damon Seeley. The line down the alley while waiting for “Nightmare…”]

bourland November 1, 2006 at 11:15 am

That last paragraph was fascinating in and of itself. From what I learn from my teenage daughter and stepdaughter, this “cutting” phenomenen is more widespread than I ever imagined. They claim that “emo” music is the domain of cutters everywhere.

Who woulda thunk it?

Andy

Roger Bourland November 1, 2006 at 1:37 pm

I don’t get it: I’m a bit behind the times, but “emo” means “emotional” right? So, I’m trying to see the relationship between emo and cutting. My mind is open, but somewhat baffled.

bourland November 1, 2006 at 6:38 pm

emo, apparently, is a genre of emotionally charged punk music that is quite popular among the “emo” crowd. It’s a lifestyle thing I guess.

Here’s a site that will tell you all about it…

erinm November 2, 2006 at 9:58 am

I was quite into the first wave of emo bands about 15 years ago – it is short for emotional, it was often a haven for those kids who weren’t into singing about wrecking things and getting drunk. Emo kids liked to sing about getting dumped by girls (the bands then were all fronted by guys), your zine getting a crap review and how no one understood you. The usual.

It’s morphed a bit since then, and I wouldn’t say cutters are connected exclusively with emo as a music genre. Anyone I knew who did that was much more connected with the goth scene. But – that could have changed, it’s been awhile.

Roger Bourland November 2, 2006 at 10:51 am

Erin and Andy
I went to fourfa.com and listened to the music. Sorry man, I had no idea what to expect. I half was thinking perhaps it was a retro-Neil Diamond thing or Barry Manilow. But “emotional?” Whooeee! Everything is screamed. The drums are the predominant instruments; all else is a wall of sound. I’ll listen to it again to see if I can get a handle on it. Right now, I prefer my definition of emotional, otherwise, let’s all just get along and settle for a broad interpretation of EMO.

erinm November 3, 2006 at 4:23 am

Ha, yeah, it’s not thee most accessible music ever. I had an emo band once. I ‘sang’. Needless to say it didn’t involve singing much, more screaming.

Maybe the raw end of emotional is a better phrase?

Roger Bourland November 3, 2006 at 6:59 am

Thanks for the inside poop erinm. Do you miss screaming? Didn’t it thrash your vocal cords? And are you happy NOW just singing in the traditional manner?