Beatles: You’re Gonna Lose That Girl

November 21, 2006

Here is a smoky video of the Beatles “You’re Gonna Lose That Girl” from what sounds like the original recording session.

The beatles
Uploaded by Hanvak

Fairyboy69 November 21, 2006 at 9:50 am

I love them. I was going to say I was born in the wrong decade, but then I thought back and remembered it’s all I heard for the first five years of my life (okay, them and Donovan and a few other contemporaries…)

Mum knew one of those boys! 🙂

Mark Carlson November 25, 2006 at 5:58 am

According to Wikipedia, the clip is actually from the movie “Help!”, but I am deprived and have never seen that movie so can’t vouch for that. Wikipedia also points out that the bridge is in the relative major of the parallel minor (or flat III: G major, the song being in E major). The song also has this strange modal-sounding final cadence, which goes IV/IV to IV to I.

(…a partial power outage in my neighborhood caused my security alarm to go off, and now I can’t sleep).

Brad Wood November 25, 2006 at 6:16 pm

I love it. I was always too turned on by the Beatles in my days of denial, coincident with their pre-psychedelic phase, to admit it.

I don’t recall seeing Help either, but the “production values” of that clip seem to support its movie origins. What’s fun for me is how unselfconscious they all are about performing the music on camera.

Great tune—rather Brian Wilsonian in that one lovely transitional passage.

Roger Bourland November 25, 2006 at 7:07 pm

I haven’t seen HELP in a long time but will be seeing it again next week. I just saw A HARD DAY’S NIGHT and it really is just publicity fluff. Yeah, it’s great seeing the boys bash about, saying witty and silly stuff and looking cute. But hardly a great film.

I’ll check in again about HELP!

Roger Bourland November 27, 2006 at 7:15 pm

This clip is from the Beatles Anthology, I think it’s the 4th part. The DVD is VERY clean.

mg johnson May 19, 2007 at 4:41 am

Hello all,
I’ve been playing the drums since the boys came across the water. Watched them Feb 9th, 1964 on Ed Sullivan and wanted to paly the drums right then. Took lessons and have been playing ever since. “HELP” is one of my favorite movies and I still watch it often. This clip is from the movie. In fact, Ringo goes thru “5 more attempts on his life”, and the 5th attempt is when they are in the studio recording the song and the cult members saw Ringo’s drum set through the floor…anyway, watch it and enjoy.
mg