54th Birthday

December 13, 2006

happy_birthday_roger_by_zody.jpg

© by ZoDy/Deviant Art

Today I am 54 years old. Too bad I’m home with a flu, it’s not a devastating one, but I’ve decided to NOT share it with anyone and am staying home from school today. I’m not a huge fan of birthday parties. Children should have them every year until they turn 16. Married couples should always celebrate them by going out for a romantic dinner and don’t get too tipsy so you have some energy for love when you get home. As I get older, I think a birthday party on the years divisible by 5 are sufficient–I’d even go as far as saying celebrate them every decade until you are 60. Then 65, 70, 75, 80, 85, and 90. Then, that’s enough.

I may have a quiet dinner with Daniel or Mark at Ammo so I can get my favorite martini (made with Old Raj gin) and delicious food. No party for me this year, next year, yes.

Mark Carlson December 13, 2006 at 11:36 am

Happy Birthday, Roger! Now, for the next 6 months, we’ll be the same age–until June 13.

love,

Mark

aworks December 13, 2006 at 7:48 pm

My six-year-old daughter saw the art just now and said you must be the king of the birthday. She also wanted to know who are those purple cats at the top. Take care…

Brad Wood December 14, 2006 at 1:30 am

Best on your 54th Roger!

Brad

Roger Bourland December 14, 2006 at 10:39 am

Thanks Mark and Brad! Daniel and I did go out for dinner at Ammo, and I did have my Old Raj martini. Didn’t do to well for helping me get over this flu, but hey, it was a hell of a lot more fun.

aworks: Oh dear! I have six year olds looking at my blog? I had better be careful as I assume the only readers of my blog are adults, very tolerant, music lovers, that don’t mind a bit of naughtiness from time to time. I must confess, that I made an editorial decision to not say f*ck on my blog. I know there are many that do, but I don’t say the word much in my life anyway. But back to your question, I googled “happy birthday roger” and that was what came up. I fancy that indeed I am the king in that picture. But in that it came from a website called Deviant Art, I was terrified that the purple lovely young assistants next to the king were doing something naughty and you daughter picked it up. Whew, I can’t tell, but they seem rather contained.

aworks December 14, 2006 at 11:37 pm

She can read well enough now that I prescreen anything she could see from blogs so this post looked ok. Not an issue our parents had to deal with, of course…

Fairyboy69 December 15, 2006 at 8:20 pm

O no, I missed your birthday, I’m sorry! (I took a rather attractive young man called Devon to see our good friend Rufus at Carnegie Hall…)

Happy belated birthday, Roger!

Danny